I was born running – almost literally.
Nine months later, I was already able to walk.
I was born in late-November, a true Sagittarian, in the year of the tiger.
I was born probably under grey skies, in the middle of the 20th century.
I was born in the middle of a place that had, 10 autumns earlier, suffered the brunt of the Nazi bombing storm on my native city and country.
I was born 5 years after peace returned to Europe; so, in a place and a time that was, most surely unwittingly to my family or any of those around me, to prove in the years to come akin to winning a lottery jackpot.
I was born into a family deeply scarred by tragedy, more of which was also to attempt to assert its total dominance on us in such a short time ahead.
I failed to die as I was expected to when I was only 20 months old, unlike my preceding brother, who succumbed to meningitis in the war-year spring of 1943, only 14 days after the birth of my sister, so that I became widely known as the ‘Miracle Child’, who had clung to life in the immediate aftermath of an appalling kitchen accident, when a young intern doctor, late into the first night in hospital, replied to my father’s tortured plea to know what were my chances of survival, since having lost their first son, they would not be able to stand losing the second:
“Well, there isn’t very much of him, is there?”
He then asked my father as the two of them stood in the silence, looking down at my terribly scalded body, me face down and tied like a political prisoner in a police state by wrists and ankles to the 4 corners of my cot, as if it were a jail cell:
“Mr Scott, do you have faith?”
Poor, wretched, desperate Mr Scott answered “Somehow, still, I think so. Why?”
“Because I’m going to ask you to go home now and pray. Stewart is no longer in our hands, there is nothing more we can do to help him pull through, only monitor. He may survive, but it will not be because of any miracles that we have”.
And wretched, wracked Mr Scott did just as the young doctor bade him.
6 months later, I went home. A miracle? Here I still am. However, no journey is that simple.
There is a long road between that distant, unremembered “then” and today. It is all – in so many ways – explained by that flashing instant of “then”……….
**********************************************
The deaf can hear
the trees singing among themselves;
The blind can see
into the souls of the flowers;
The dumb can speak
the purest poetry to the birds.
And what can we, perfect, do?
Hear unanswered pleas for help;
See blood flowing on streets of shame;
Speak obscenities.
________________________________________
Les sourds savent entendre
se chanter les arbres;
Les aveugles savent voir
dans l’âme des fleurs;
Les muets savent parler
la poésie la plus pure aux oiseaux.
Et nous, parfaits, que savons-nous faire ?
Entendre les supplications ignorées au secours;
Voir s’écouler le sang dans les rues de honte;
Parler des obscénités.
_______________________________________
That child wrote this:
“I am living in the only place I belong…………In my head.
It is dark, cold, lonely, desolate.
The walls are too thick for anyone outside to hear me or see me.
They are not thick enough to keep out either the sounds and sights of a cruel and stupid world, or the knowledge of everything that I couldn’t find, do or be.
This is where I belong, alone in here with all my failures”.
9 comments:
I once knew a man who was a child. A man I have never met. A man whose words walked with me on the longest journey of my life. When that journey ended and a new one began it was his words that gave me the strength and courage to take that first step into the unknown. I am now at University...that step has become a stride...a stride into the future. I owe so much to that man who was once a child. He is no failure in my eyes.
Thank you my friend
Love & kisses
Rx
Our paths crossed in cyberspace I think!
Rx
Quelle histoire !
Mais mon ami, la vie il faut y croire tant que la flamme de la bougie n'a pas été soufflée ! Je suis contente tout de même que tes parents aient mis toutes les chances de leur coté et aient prié pour toi...
Je viens de perdre une tante de presque cent ans, pour te dire elle est née l'année où a sombré le Titanic. Cette tante était un miracle ambulant, elle aurait dû mourir mille fois. Et elle avait un amour incroyable de la vie, même si elle était très affaiblie à la fin, elle est restée chez elle jusqu'au bout, presque aveugle, sourde, ne se déplaçant qu'avec difficultés.
J'en viens aux mots que tu as écrits : les aveugles, les sourds, les muets... Je me dis qu'il n'est pas possible, si la vie après la mort existe, que le sourd soit sourd, l'enfant handicapé handicapé, le bébé sans conscience, ma mère qui ne parlait pas le français, ne sachant pas le comprendre.
Et le vieillard, non dans la force de son âge...
As I was reading the story of this child, that like Ruth, I met once and I'll love forever, I couldn't help thinking he is indeed a miracle.
Not only because he survived, but also because in many ways, he has the power to help others to stand when their knees are too weak to keep walking. And I say the power and NOT the obligation. We don't expect you to help, we just love you when you do and when you don't.
I remember myself going through difficult times and a voice on the phone that didn't end until this child was sure I was smiling. I remember Ruth counting on him as a friend with the best words and a broad shoulder....you know, so many people touched by the child you were or the man you are, a good one, a loved one by all of us.
You said:"The walls are too thick for anyone outside to hear me or see me." I've been there so many times! but this is what I believe, I believe "The deaf can hear
the trees singing among themselves" And we can hear you, we see you and we wait for you to fly. You don't belong to your head, but to the whole word and colors you can not see now.
You are not a failure to me either, you are a MAN with all the greatness that word has. We hear you Stewart, we do!
Love Ani xoxoxox
"I was born running – almost literally.
Nine months later, I was already able to walk".
Over the years life would knock this same child to his knees, his heart heavy,the wonder of this child in truth. Whatever life threw in his path he grew to face it like a man and not turn, not hide, not shrivel and become bitter and twisted, but struggled with courage and got up, and in his rising lifted those who were struggling also to their feet.
Failure? how we sit with our failures, are we content with them, is not the success in getting off our knees when we are strong and ready and willing to face them perhaps surrender to the peace that we gave all we had to give, when we could and that little bit more.
In truth it hurts to read see that word written here, however I hear it and hold it in the absurd hope that a failure shared is somehow lighter to bear, Im happy to carry that absurd hope if that is what they call it for if this child has failed then somehow we all have.
Love and blessings however small to help you to your feet my friend.
XXX Auds
Alone in his room where many thoughts flourish,
many kind words form within the wellspring of a loyal heart,
A grown man sits.
Unawares he waits for the one, the special one
The one who will come and feed him
He knows not who he is as he is not one
He contains many, the faces, the breath,
the memory of those who went before him
Brave souls who's hopes for miracles were both realised and denied
People of staggering depth who found a way
to carry that joy and suffering in the same heart
carrying on without complaint
Birds sang, he did not hear them
The breeze whispered he could not see it
Imperfect in his perfection
For he knew the pain of being human
Lifting his eyes for a moment, he sees a child
Tears stream down his face.
Did I let you down he whispers to the ether
Did I fail you his heavy heart beats
to the footstep fall of old memories
In an instant he feels the touch of small fingers
trace a path to his and gently entwine with his own
"A miracle child was I" whispered a voice, A miracle child
with so much to give, yet human and vulnerable as all the rest
"I have walked with my failures reminding me along the way of those simple truths"
They ask for their place at this banquet table we call life, but little space.
They ask for their space thats all, they ask not for feeding, nor for the limelight
Happy to sit in the shadow and simply be, these failures.
They come not to mock and spoil the feast, they come not to weaken
Prefering to stand quietly by, part of the company, reminding us ever so gently
of JUST HOW HUMAN WE ARE. They ask us to listen with open heart and accept with loving heart,
their presence, for many successess have danced with them down the years, many a success born from their memory
They come not to drive us but to remind us of the ones that left the table many years ago, their work done
Look they say, over there, that shining success happy and swirling, the breathe of failure gave her life, the very seed itself.
Please said the child strengthening the grip on the mans hand, Dont fail me, come dance with failure for in her can lie the seed of our successes.
Not now said the man, I have not the energy nor the heart for dancing.
" I understand" whispered the child, gently smiling and kissing the man on the forehead, "excuse me if I dance with them, for they may have some new steps to teach me today".
Skipping and laughing the child got lost in the dance, the familiar throng and the man smiled and admired his courage
Loving him each step of the way
Stewart, this is an amazing post and I'm sorry to be late coming here once again. You commented on my blog and I've been so involved in the stupidity that is our national election process that I didn't get back to see you until now!
Your words are so poetic and your descriptions are so keenly true - someday you must write the book, the story of your life, because far from being a failure, you are a light in people's lives and are a very special person. So keep writing, and keep the faith that your father had. You survived for a reason.
My matey!
You were born running as you needed to live MORE in the same lifetime period! You have succeded in it, as far as I guess to know, and you do need to go on living that way! Sometimes, as in a football match, there is a "break" in a while; you need, now, to recover to go back and fight again for a win! Do it, matey, for you (the running boy) and for everyone who loves you!
COYS, COYP, COYSJS;))
Abraços (as you say;))
Miguel O.
Stewart - Reading the words of your true friends leaves my eyes filled with tears. My heart can not spill forth such deep expressions but I feel echo those words for you.
It is hard to know about people like you whose life has been so different from anything I have experienced in my 51 years. You are like a story book character - who survives troubles almost to horrendous to imagine. Yet you are real, alive, and somewhere even now as I write these words.
"The deaf can hear the trees singing among themselves" - wow. You have a wisdom Stewart, that is far beyond the rest. I know all will go well with you on October 23. That is the birthdate of my Love's first baby granddaughter. As you go, just know that you are wrapped in a cocoon of the prayers and loving thoughts of many who have grown to care about you. xo
Post a Comment