A year ago today, to mark the first anniversary of taking it, I published this photo on Time & A Word.
It generated a wide discussion and expressions of emotions, from sympathy to anger to guilt.
I feel I have to publish it today again, not least because I am wondering if he is still alive, 2 years on.
It makes me react exactly as the first time I saw it.
If you haven't seen it before, can I invite you to go to the "Time & A Word" blog (link from top, left of here)and look in the archive, 10th December 2006 and subsequent days and read about this photo.
Plus ça change, plus c'est même chose, as the French say.
One last piece of info: Remember that the Municipality of Siberia-on-Tejo invited me to do a one-man photo exhibition?
Well, what gives me the greatest satisfaction, if not pride, was that they contacted me after looking at a bunch of my photos, including this one. And it was this one that led them to invite me. They were all so impressed and moved by it that they insist that it appears in the exhibition.
That means that it is an image that communicates, conveys a message. Here in Blogland, we already know that, but that is global. The fact that it is a Lisbon street has a far deeper resonance on a Portuguese audience. That advert in the blank window makes it so much more immediately powerful. And it is precisely that kind of achievement that satisfies me.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World.
I can't leave without a terrible, disgusting, hurtful PS regarding this man & the whole question.
It's Christmas time, as the famous Bandaid song so eloquently begins.
The NGOs and church organisations are far advanced in their preparations to give the homeless a few days of comparative well-being. Thanks to volunteers, private and corporate donors, there are fresh stockpiles of food, blankets, medicines, hygiene products, toys, shampoo, etc. etc. Portugal is no different.
A few days ago, I saw a TV news report on one voluntary organisation, "Paz e Vida" (Peace and Life)at their warehouse in Lisbon. A good report.
Yesterday, I saw another one on the same people. On Saturday morning, they arrived at the warehouse to discover that there had been a break-in. Practically EVERYTHING had been stolen. They are expecting 2,500 homeless and needy from next Saturday.
It just broke my heart. It breaks my heart that I am not in a position to do one thing to help. They are praying for a miracle, or just a huge wave of solidarity.
What sort of people could do that? I have never heard of such a thing. What Christmas spirit? Wickedness incarnate.
Pray for "Paz e Vida".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I remember that photo very well, Stewart! If I remember right the comments were plentiful.
It is a powerful shot (to me anyway), so it is justice that it is the one that got you into the exhibit.
(I hope the folks with an empty warehouse can work miracles.)
Hello Stewart! I've been checking in the wrong places. Here you are. :) Glad to see that you're still blogging.
Like my friend Nikon, I also remember that picture very well, and I remember what I felt. I guess he is still there, in the same street with his dog, though in my heart I wish things were differnt for him now.
Como quer viver amanha....good question. Eu so quero um minuto de felicidade :) and an unforgetful mind to remember it forever.
Stewart, my friend I LOVE YOU!!
Take care :)
(Serendipity is that I came right after nikon who happens to be my future husband LOL, just kidding!!!)
Unforgettable Stewart, it resonates something deep within and still challenges today. So powerful. Im shocked to read your p.s. so pitiful to steal that meant for those who have so little,its so sadenning.
Im sorry to have to do this but Ani can I be bridesmaid....Im determined!!!!
Icarus, tu te souviens que j'ai commenté cette photo en son temps.
J'ai commenté aussi sur un autre blog la photo d"un jeune homme, et là j'ai pas aimé comme cela avait été "exploité". J'imagine, que tu as discutté avec cet homme, que tu ne lui as pas volé son image et comme tu le montres, tu lui rends sa dignité. C'est cela dont ces personnes ont le plus besoin, de dignité. Que l'on les considérent comme des personnes qui peut être ont rencontré des difficultés de vie, santé, sentiments, travail, etc. Et cela peut arriver très vite à tout le monde. Ce sont nos frères, ce sont nous....
Un grand bravo pour cette exhibition de tes photos. J'aime tes photos, tu le sais.
J'ai bien reçu ton courriel, mais j'ai été absente tout hier et suis rentrée fatiguée de ma journée à Paris. La capitale est exaltante, mais éreintante... Je te répondrai plus tard.
It is strange and not exactly apposite in this particular post, but what the heck! I'm referring to nikon & analia, more on which in a moment. First, STEPHEN B!!! What a great surprise! Other places? I've been in a few, but principally, I moved in her because there was more room, it's comfortable enough and it still feels more right. It's all crazy anyway & I never seem to have enough time toventure out, in either the real world, or the virtual.
Cergie, t'en fais pas, tout a été expliqué il y a un an, comment pa photo a été prise avec la maximum de discretion, sans viser le type, sans m'arrêter demarcher. Et comment l'impacte pleine de cette image seulement a été aperçu lorsque je l'ai vu après sur mon computeur. 2 ans aprés, elle continue à me frapper fort. En plus, il y a un an, les posts suivants ont traité le thème d'une façon plus approfondie. Pendant mes années à Lisbonne, je me suis engagé avec tous les sans abri du quartier, bavardant tout en leur donnant à manger et toujours recevant la preuve (pas nécessaire) que non seulement ce sont aussi des êtres humains, mais aussi que souvent ils sont mille fois plus généreux que leurs confrères et soeurs sur la coté plus sauve de la barrière sociale.
Un filet invisible...malheureusement, je sais trop bien combien il est facile à tomber entre les trous dans ce filet-lá. Ça pourrait arriver à pratiquement n'importe qui, si les circonstances et le destin s'y arrangent.
Non, je ne lui ai rien volé, j'en suis sûr. Par contre, je m'efforce de mettre cette photo au service jamais achevé de reveiller la conscience de ses co-citoyens içi.
Oh, que je puisse faire bien plus davantage pour eux!
And now, Dearly Beloved, can we get this on?
The world's first online engagement, wedding, honeymoon and marriage?
It's all in place - a gride (ani), a broom (nikon), one full-time fabulous gridesmaid (auds) a 'minister' of marriage-brokery and bliss (me...Don't worry, I have some track record! Trust me!)
I'm up for it. I just ask the gride and broom to meditate, ponder, search inside their hearts & minds and consider, do they want this? Truly, madly, deeply? Especially madly.
Get to know each other, spend some virtual time together, exchange virtual faces, books, hands and hand-books. then come back and let the Minister know. OK?
PS: Particularly Ani, are you sure P's the One that You Want?
After all, it's a bit of a worry that you see Paul's light so very soon after your declaration of love for the minister, não é?
Oh my God!! I have a Minister and a bridesmaid already? Isn't that wonderful?
Huston we have a problem....the groom doesn't know yet!!! LOL
Well, I guess he will discover my hidden plans soon as he gets here :)
Ohhh and my declaration of love to the minister... I know he can live with that ha ha
Love and xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I just have one question. Ani, will you be able to support me in the manner to which I am accustomed?
Hubby and I often wonder and think about the homeless people especially on cold nights...Sad to say that we cant do anything to help them.
I remember the photo as well. It is very impactful.
And I'm so sorry to hear about the theft from the warehouse. Pure evil.
Stewart - I remember. I remember the picture I posted as well - a similar scenario. There is no answer for the misery some people are destined to live in...no justice and it seems, no solution.
Your heart is tender and passionate for such causes - and you are blessed for it. Love and hugs - all my best to you this Christmas, and I wish you peace in the new year.
Post a Comment