Thursday, 29 November 2007

The Grand Prix, Lap 58 Starts Today

It has been a peaceful, calm, simple birthday today.
Even uplifting, thanks to words of all kinds, from all corners in a variety of languages. Notably those of one very special friend, whose words took my breath away and managed to give direction to my own thinking as I try to come to terms and face what I am, who I am, where I am.
I want to give my sincere thanks to all my friends who have wished me well for today.
I am, however, distressed that my dear Ruth and Audrey are both experiencing technical difficulties and are unavailable.
Ruth, if you get to see this, yes, you beauty, it arrived today. Those words.....My, oh my!

I took this photo a week before last Christmas. The gull was absolutely enormous and I wanted to make it dominate the Lisbon skyline across the river.
 

A few weeks ago, I had an idea and have been experimenting with taking photos of my photos on the pc screen. So, almost one year on, the gull becomes this:
 

Symbolic of something? I am not thinking about it.
This is my self-portrait for 29 November 2007, taken this lunchtime. No birds at all. It looks very grounded, homely, cosy in fact. Queen Margot sitting on her/my throne, all peaceful. Just as well no birds.
After all these months, I have decided that this is not the place to tell my story after all.
First, I just couldn't find a way to pull the words out of me, though I know them all. Then, I am truly feeling older. See that missing tooth? It is a time of reckoning and to try and accept how things are. I am living much like Robinson Crusoe. I risk being Humpty Dumpty.
I still intend to write the story, but I will file it and make it available on request. I will not publish it here, simply because I have come to to feel that that is wrong. I do not want it on the internet, where it could only serve any useful purpose for those who could relate to the story.
There are other ways of dealing with that.
 

And that was how my world looked (in my office) on 29 November 2007.
Biggest love to all.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Cergie said...

Happy birthday mon cher ami, heureux anniversaire
Je ne me souvenais plus que tu étais de la fin de l'année et tu me l'avais dit et tu as le même age que moi à présent pour quelques temps...
Je en savais aps que tu as un chat, il a l'air placide. J'ai un chat aussi... celui des voisins qui se tape ou du moins essaie de se taper l'incruste chez nous. Hélas, notre fille est allergique aux chats !!!
Je te fais un gros bisou et te souhaite une bonne nuit

Bisous

Lucie

PS : ta mouette ressemble à une mouette de Dieppe. Elle est magnifique (celle que tu n'as pas trafiquée) sur ce fond de cité

Aura said...

Hi Stewart,

Another beautiful capture of the gull and lisbon, Congratulations!!

I´ve been quiet busy myself yesterday speaking to family and friends thru messenger and phone calls, that is why i did´nt have time to check on my blog stop overs.

Never came into my mind that we celebrate the same day of birth:)One more year added to our existence in this world.

Yesterday,my brother asked me:"How old are you now "Ate?"(tagalog term for older sister)
I answered: "Forget about my age,its just another year and i still feel the same as in the previous years!"
He said, "You dont want to tell me?Never mind, I´ll just ask mom!!! Lol!!

No celebrations for me, just a quiet dinner out with hubby.

Mais uma vez,Muitos felicidades,Saude e Paz!!

Beijinhos!
Aurora

Jenny said...

Happy birthday, two days late! I know I've been out of touch - weird stuff going on in these parts lately! But I try to keep an eye on Eden!

Nikon said...

Happy Birthday, Stewart, sorry I'm, late!
I like your "cozy" shot. The cat is cuter :)
Let us know when that story will be available, I know I'd like to read it.

Mauigirl said...

Happy birthday, Stewart. Sorry I'm late in posting my good wishes for a great year ahead.

I'm so glad to see your face so I can put it with your words! And your cat is adorable!

photowannabe said...

Happy Birthday Stewert even though its late. The feeling is still there. Its good to see a picture of you and your furry friend. I would love to read your story too my friend.
Sue

Analía said...

I came to visit my friend and to ask if there is some cake left :) No cake? snif. I'm always late!! XOXOXOX (oh your cat is cute! mine too, so let's make some arrangements for the international wedding hehe. Take care my friend.

Audrey said...

Can I be bridesmaid...oops matron of honour,tad too old for the bridesmaid thing...lol

Photography...beautiful and I share your lovely smile on that last pic and send one right back to you xxxx Auds

Marguerite said...

Bonjour Margot, Margarida !
Tu es placide et rousse.
Nous avons le même âge au fond. Combien valent les années de chat ?
Sois gentille : ne t'attaque pas aux hirondelles d'Icarus lorsqu'elles seront de retour.
Je découvre qu'il aime les chats.
Il aime les oiseaux, surtout.

Cergie / Marguerite

Icarus said...

Thank you all for all your kindnesses. Cergiem aussi, attends. Margot/Margarida te salue, elle est mignonne, amicale et curieusement, elle ressemble plus à un chien qu'en chat souvent. elle chante, elle danse, elle parle, elle joue et elle mange. Spécialité: elle dort d'une façon qui nouse donne envie de faire semblant, toujours avec un aire de confort.
And for all of you who noticed my carrot-fur friend, I was never a cat-fan, but Margarida is very special, very unusual. She has reactions more canine than feline.
And Ani, firstly, she is a she, what's yours? Second,yours hasto join the line, Margot is on promises right round the world. Thirdly, she is a nun! But no worries, Auds, you will be on stand-by, just in case...
Paul, are you saying the cat is cuter than me? I hope so!

One week in and I still have my new attitude. Only, I am too bust with work to reply to mails (which is what I most want to do), and still no time to visit you all, for which I really apologise. It'll come, because I am drawing a line in the sand for work this year on 15 December, my deadline for the 2 current horror-projects. Then I can write that long-awaited chronicle & think about the exhibition.
Finalemente, Lucie/Marguerite (toi, avec une 2ème identité?), elle le sait, elle ne se jète jamais lorqu'elle remarque les hirondelles qui font leur nids tout près de chez nous/elle au printemps, ni les pigeons. Une douce!

Bye for now, all be very well, espcecially if it is cold outside, like here relatively speaking.

Nikon said...

I have a cat, too, a "fixed" female. She was a stray. I guess marriage is out.