Monday, 19 November 2007

Gonna Make You SING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, is your Monday dark, wet, 100% grey like mine?
Wanna lift up?
Are you gonna singalong?
Well, this song defies you not to join in and not to feel better!
Oh, it takes me back. This was Dec. 1971, I'd first found Elton John 12 months before. Can you believe this? I bought an album ("Your Song")without having heard one track. That wasn't strange. But the fact that I bought it because the guy was wearing the identical glasses to my new pair that month, same shade, not glam, just very cool. And what an album!
Then this song, 4 years later, '75. I was livng in Paris, it came on the radio, (I recorded it, sang along forever more. Very easy to play on my guitar (I was working in a recording studio at the time & was always playing). So I was always getting everyone to singalong.
I know it has been revived this year, related to Princess Diana, but that isn't it. Late last night, I watched the film "Almost Famous" - brilliant soundtrack - and this song was used to absolute perfection. You can see what I mean, if you don't know the movie, by seeing a clip on Youtube.
Now, tune in, key of C....ready? Here comes the sun!

13 comments:

Aura said...

Stewart,you gave me an idea!!

I´ll do just that now,connect my "Karaoke" start practising again(just to make some noise and entertain myself..hahaha!)

Still raining and gloomy day out here!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Audrey said...

LOL Still raining and gloomy in Aberdeen but suddenly it doesnt seem to matter :)

What a great post, but sing me?????

Oh go on then, fingers in ears first though

Thanks for bringing the sunshine, great song too xxxx Auds

Nikon said...

Not bad for a rainy day!
So you were a studio musican? Wow, you are full of surprises :)
(I miss albums :)

Icarus said...

A brief update:- Yesterday went literally/weatherwise from grey to near black, and eventually to real, total black when the elctricity couldn't cope anymore around 8.30 last night and had a total blackout (luckily, only about 10 minutes) while Iwas performing a particularly delicate operation on a photo album on the pc.
When it rains here, each drop can be a bucketful, a REAL hard rain.
I was OK; I had "Tiny Dancer" in my head all day, after filling it up in the morning. Though all afternoon, as I did the autumn changeover from summer to winter clothes, it was Gypsy Kings, Chaka Khan & Jackson Browne.
I think that today, I can be tempted to open up that guitar case again. It's been a while...
Aura, what is on your karaoke?
Auds, I WOULD sing you, but I can only think of one rhyming word for Audrey, and it is not at all appropriate!
Paul, I said I was working in the studio, not as a musician, though. That was just a bonus from being there. I'll explain elsewhere (still have to write my e-mail reply). As for "I miss albums", that's what I realised, along with the whole ethos of the those times, just from the first 10 minutes of that movie. Have you seen it? The way the 11-yr-old looks at "Bookends"? Then Cream's "Wheels of Fire", the Stones' "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out", Led Zep II, Hendrix' "Axis Bold As Love", etc. These were all icons, doorways into heaven, resistance, revolution, partying, escape. When I was 11 & 12, OMG, the hours I spent just staring at the covers of the first 2 Beatles albums, "Please Please Me" & "With the Beatles"...«and I WAS! We ALL were!
Now, I need to load this Youtube again before doing something more responsible.
But, to end with another immortal song opening line (quiz: whose?) from the movie:
"I've seen all good people every way,
So satisfied I'm on my way!!!"

RUTH said...

YES! "Send an instant comment to me Initial it with loving care"
RX
Miserable weather here too btw; thanks for the sing-along :o)

Icarus said...

YES indeed, Ruthie! You are a mega-star for that, and we are bound even closer as a consequence!
In and around the lake,
People come out of the sky
and stand there...

Your turn!
(isn't all that old music just magic? Well, perhaps not Peter & Gordon, but........I've been doing classics of Steely Dan this morning, learned that they are timelessly brilliant).
Love it!
Sxxxxxxxxx

Aura said...

Stewart,what i have is not exctly karaoke but a wireless microphone with song chips and its called "Magic Sing".

Bought it in Manila last yr.("Novidade lá da minha terra"`)The chip has about 2,000 songs frm famous singers of the 60´s-80's.
When conected to TV and set to video,choose the no. of the song you want to sing then just like karaoke,the background music starts and lyrics will appear on your TV ang you can start screaming as i dud yesterday.LOL! had fun(mesmo sosinha en casa)
It also rates your singing ability!!!

Nikon said...

That was by "Yes", but i don't remember much else :)
Funny how music can get you out of the dumps or at least smiling as you lie in the gutter.

Jenny said...

Argh, my laptop always freezes on YouTube clips - I can't hear it! Tiny Dancer was never my fave (I've gathered that from the comments) - but when I was about 10 I discovered Elton John and listened to a fairly obscure one, Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, about a million times.

Icarus said...

Aura, sozinha em casa (quarto de banho?)é sempre o melhor sitio for a good scream!
The Magic Sing box...maybe you should go into business. I can think of a good few people who could be interested in acquiring one for Xmas. And January, February, March. Which reminds me of Gilberto Gil's "Aquele Abraço" 'Rio de Janeiro, Fevereiro e Março'.
I bet that isn't on the song chip, is it?
I'm about to buy myself a new MP3 with 2GB memory. That should get me thrown out of the biblioteca fast!
Paul, second prize only, I'm afraid (coming soon). If your memory's not serving you well, then I reckon it could do you a power of good to get hold of some YES quickly and imbibe that musical positivity.

Jenny, well HELLO! Nice to have you back here! Can't you open it on a pc? Why son't you like this song? Capt. Fantastic was later. I think this song was on Madman Across the Water.

Analía said...

Hello Stewart!!! I'm here to sing out loud so please cover your ears LOL
It's really good to come here and see so many familiar names in the comments, ahhhhhhh I miss you so much!!
Ermm ptsss ptsss is that about three comments bellow my friend Paul? tell him I'm in the park sitting in a bench waiting for him ha ha ha, he will understand.

I have a sudden need of dancing too!! yessssssssss it's good to be here, mu@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ xoxoxox Love you

Cergie said...

Icarus, on prend un sacré coup de vieux avec ta vidéo ! Quand on voit Elton aussi jeune et poupon, c'est dingue !
Et puis La Princesse Diana, cela semble si loin. Il y a encore des personnes qui vont au pont de l'Alma mais sans guère de conviction... (J'ai posté une photo du Palais de Tokyo à Paris et j'ai signalé, sans plus, qu'on y voyait le pont de l'Alma et personne n'a réagi.)
Le temps passe et emporte tout. Un temps gris, cela m'est égal. Il faut du froid, il faut de la pluie pour ne pas vivre dans un désert.
Mais que l'hiver précède le printemps, ça oui, ça me fiche le bourdon, car il faut vivre intensément chaque jour de notre vie. Les jours noirs ou gris d'hiver comme les jours bleus de printemps ou d'été. Plus tard, ces jours là nous les regarderons avec nostalgie et nous penserons : "ah si j'y étais encore"
Comme tu fais en revenant sur ce disque de Sir Elton John...

Mauigirl said...

I always liked Elton John's songs. I really liked "Friends" and "Your Song" and this one as well. Another of my favorites was "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" and also "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." It's odd, I don't think I have any of his albums except the first one with Friends on it. And I like a lot of his songs. Maybe I should buy a "best of" CD.