Monday, 5 November 2007

First Experiments with a Polarizer Filter (1)

This is a double-post of photos. They were all taken on a morning in April 2005, a few weeks after I had got my digital camera. But I was still addicted to my old Olympus, with a range of lenses & film. I'd bought the filters in London also a couple of weeks earlier.
I drove over the river to Alcochete, to the nature reserve, knowing that the skies and clouds would be enormous, imposing.
In case you don't know what a polarizer does, just look at the clouds. That's it. Not bad for a first try.
You can't enlarge these pics, because they were developed in a lab that covers itself by only making thumb-nalis available online. it also explains the graininess.
I've posted 4 more from that morning, behind the estuary. I love these atmposheres.
I know Ruth loves skies and I know Auds is heading up there on the 8th. So these are with you both in mind. As well as everyone who likes big skies, big space, the bigness that makes us feel small, but reassured.
 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Nikon said...

I always shot with a polarizer on my film cameras ( daylight shots, of course).
I've never looked for one for my digital - I don't do any shooting anymore!
They are great for foliage in the Fall, too.

Icarus said...

But Paul, you have an avatar to live up to! Does it mean that you usedf to use a Nikon? Seriously between me & you, there are several sub-texts in this.
1) Compared to those days, just 30 months ago, i hardly shoot anymore either.
2)Only by reading you do I realize that subconsciously this was me yearning for that place, that time again. It is the quintessence of the bigness I keep yearning to be in, or under. It was so easily accessible. Today, I can look towards where it is, across the river & downstream, but totally inaccessible. Yesterday, walking in the 150-yard riverside garden, I thought of the Tale of the Ancient Mariner, that bit about Water, water everywhere & not a drop to drink. It is always there, but always beyond reach, so it mocks the observer. If we can't touch it, is it really there? This albatross is really stinking to high heaven....

Audrey said...

Ahhhhhh the long forgotten joys of loading a film, picking the film speed and waiting for the final results etc etc, the anticipation...Makes me wish I still had my old Pentax. Digital is easier but not quite the same. I intend to have a look for a good camera when Im away.

The fun of experimenting and these are great shots Stewart xxxx Auds

Icarus said...

Auds, I've been trying to find something for you that I now realise was never digitalised. Dumbfounded, because it is one of those "special" once-in-a-lifetime shots that everyone likes a lot.
I'll have to take a digi-photo of the enlarged print, but it won't be the same. I want you to see it before you leave.
And à propos of your comment, I've recently decided that digital is the banalisation of photography.
In 1973, before we flew back to London, I went to a shop on Broadway called "Camera Barn" & bought my first 135 mm lens. It was the price of a large burger, because, according to the sales guy, "Americans just don't like anything that's manual". For me, it performed brilliantly for the next 8 years until I changed the camera. You can find anything there & like I've already told you, your £ will be like £££s! Are you going to try to meet up with any of our local blog-pals, like Maui? She's not too far away across the river in N.J. Or Jenny, up in Connecticut? Would be wonderful.

RUTH said...

Such beautiful images. I wish I'd said this first..
“Your flames are spreading... which are great and are like embodiments of truths. Your rays are reaching the sky.”
From...Rig Veda
Rxxxx

Icarus said...

Well for me, you DID say it first, Ruth!
What a beautiful sentiment those words convey. Thank you, thank you.

Nikon said...

Stewart, I had 3 Nikon F bodies and a wide, normal zoom & telephoto lenses, & an automatic flash that I used in my newspaper work. ( Everything was bought used as I sold photos.) Usually I put the 28mm on with the auto flash & 400 ASA film. That way even shooting in pitch darkness I'd get anything from 6 feet to infinity in perfect focus.
My main complaint with digital is "I want a viewfinder!!!" I want to look through the lens :)

Icarus said...

Respect, Paul! I didn't know that side of your history. Yeah, the nostalgia for the viewfinder, but can't you part-exchange the bodies for a Nikon D? The lenses could still be used, probably. Or no shooting?
And is it possible to see any of your work? The 28mm + 400 ASA had me salivating!

Nikon said...

Hi Stewart,
Well, all of my gear was stolen in a house break & I was out of business. They probably sold everything for enough money for a "fix."
I have a lot of the negatives lying around here - but not many prints & no scanner.
It was mostly just "D&D" - death & destruction - night-time news, fires, shootings, car acidents - no art :)

Mauigirl said...

Fantastic shots, the polarizer really makes the clouds stand out.