What I mean by side-notes is that they contain no new startling revelations from my memoirs. After this week's sequence, I have to plan it a little (different for a diary, forward planning), because there is a lot to write and though I may write sequentially, it will always appear backwards.
I don't think I am intending, or am actually able to write this in a chronological sequence. Memories of events, determinant factors, just rise up into the consciousness and, in any event, if I chose to read all of my stuff going back through most of the time, I could transcribe, but I would never have the time. I want to stick to what I feel is salient to where I have got trapped in the here & now. Certain clues might already be emerging, but it will all come, depending on how able I actually am to write it decently.
The major reason for this side-note is a response to the reaction this week. I had said that I am writing to myself, and I MUST keep it that way. So if I don't answer the comments, please rest assured that I am reading them and it is now in fact a further encouragement to keep on. So when I wrote to Auds the other day "Ne Me Quittes pas", that is what I meant: Don't go away from me. And I hope I won't. Thank you all for your heart-felt comments.
I am trying to capture Siberia with the camera. It is harder than I had thought. Partly because you can't HEAR the sound of it, partly because of the dimesions. Now I think that this difficulty could go towards explaining why I posted "Born Running" and "Keep on Running". It is as if I have to explain what has made me me, that could, in turn, explain, why I experience this as a prison without escape called Siberia.
I am actually looking forward to writing the next entries to this diary/autobiog. Masochistic of me, perhaps, because I already know what it has to contain, which is the follow-on from the miracles and other elements of my childhood. Everything that was seminal to all the most positive and most negative in me.
It has never been lightly that I have always answered the question: "What is your greatest achievement?" automatically by saying: "To have survived". There is what I know, there is what I have been told and there is what has been confirmed of my own auto-psychological excavation & analysis.
I also know just how richly lucky I have been. It all could have been so very different. And if today I, we, have so little to show materially for our time, I understand that too. Even miracles have their limits. And we cannot have everything.
It is like we are all dealt a hand of cards at the beginning, when our circles start turning. We have to play that hand and we can't usually see where it will lead. But on this basis, this strikes me as a fabulous reason for never judging anyone else, or over-estimating or underestimating them.They have their own hand of cards, their own circles to turn through, their own 360º.
"Ulysses", Ruth. I am telling myself our one-word battle anthem today; because today has been really hard. It is the contagion of Siberia, you see.
May the weekend be better, although the days and nights don't really make any difference when nothing happens to distinguish them, and you feel yourself being sucked deeper into something awful so lacking in stimulation that you are surrounded by human debris who know no better, and you wake up exhausted, incoherent and having to try and repair yourself, just because you do not belong. And just because there is no alternative. And you are starving for lack of art, sky, intelligence, ocean, diversity, curiosity, engagement, fields, trees, roads, beauty, sense, the unlimitedness of being truly alive.
ULYSSES!!!

5 comments:
If I had the "way with words" that you do I could have written that last paragraph...I need stimulation...something to take me beyond the role of mother and grandmother. Day meets night, night meets day and I have learnt nothing new and another day merges into the next. I know I can scour the web and see new sights or read a book and learn something new but I want something REAL! Truth be told....I'M BORED.
ULYSSES!!!!!
Rx
It's curious Ruth. I didn't write the word 'bored' here, but I have realised a few times in the past week or so that it is very apt. I have felt it deeply, but not only with the outside. I have felt bored with me, enduring all this. So it is a double effect. I have never felt boredom like this, the way it feeds on itself and turns mind and feelings into a soft omelette, which in turns breeds and reinforces an apathy and impotence.
Is that how it is for you?
From one omlette to another :o) yes that's just how it is and the more bored I am the more borING I become. I know there are plenty of things I could be doing...decorating, sorting out paperwork, still Mick's clothes to go through but I want something more.I'm not bored in the sense of nothing to do I'm just...blaaaah....can't think of a word. The small world I'm left with since Mick has gone isn't enough for me now....I fear I'll stagnate into oblivion.
Rx
It is very difficult to picture myself in this situation, but I have heard it many times from close friends of mine - one of them, actually, just a few weeks ago. So what I have to say is not based on my personal experience, but in what I have seen happen to others (others that matter to me). And the wonderful thing is that ALL of them have managed to come out of it. For some it took longer and for all of them, it required help - medical and/or from supportive family and friends. But it is possible to come out. One thing that puzzles me is that all these people are among the most creative and imaginative of my friends, so how is it possible to change from a state in which virtually everything is inspiration to another one in which everything just makes you bored and tired (another word they frequently mention)? I don't have an answer, maybe in our neuronal system there is some kind of switch / unswitch mechanism so that the stronger you are in the creative/inspirational/artistic scale, the bigger is the fall when you get swiched off... Anyway, I wish you both lots of "força" to find that switch and turn it on again! I know you have it there somewhere.
Stewart, I know what you mean about being bored with oneself. And it's hard to get out of.
And Ruth, I know what you mean about wanting something real. It's not time yet for you I know, but eventually perhaps a trip, or taking a class at a local university or something may help. I found a lot of inspiration in taking adult continuing education courses in historic preservation at a nearby college. I did it just because it interests me.
Post a Comment