Monday, 18 February 2008

Works of Art

Hi to all, on a rare grey wet Monday, after a similar yesterday and a night of torrents, thunder and lightning. Warm, though. The rain will pass.
It was such a pleasure to see you come visit the previous post...and more than just a pleasure. Mimi, you arrived just a couple of hours after I had been thinking of you yesterday morning. Cergie, the same [je suis en train d'exprimer mon plaisir à l'égard des visites chez moi d'hier. Et encore davantage, que tu sois arrivée, comme mauigirl et pequete, très peu de temps après que j'aie pensé à toi! Et c'est vrai, ce que tu dis au sujet des hirondelles]. Then pequete did the same. Auds, you are forever...well, Auds. Pat, I'm afraid I don't know you, or how you found me, but it is a shame that this blog reflects today all that is today, rather than what it was.
You see, I have so little to shoot pics of, mostly the same place and the same subjects, which are too limited to make public endlessly. Aslo, I have become afflicted by some kind of internal 'virus', which is leaving me drifting further & further away from the internet, electronic communications and even the computer, to which I am now at times really averse.
However, my pleasure at receiving your warm thoughts & wishes revived me and I want to take advantage of that firstly, to say nothing more that is negative today & secondly, to show you 4 photos shot last week that are not from that same place by the water, and that please me.
1) I think this is the best photo I've taken in ages. Not great at all, but different. I've had my eye on that door for weeks, and finally, I remembered to whip out the camera. It was lucky because the door is not usually open. You may be able to guess that this is the headquarters of the Portuguese Communist Party of Vila Franca de Xira, but I have never come across an entrance like this, with such wonderfully obvious ideological symbolism, anywhere. The PCP IS the sun!!! The open door, though, brings an added symbolism, leading us into the shadows....
 

Now, a meeting with 2 of my most valued local friends, Alenquer on the left and Ferrer on the right. So often, we just bump into each other like this, before lunch or at the end of the afternoon. Alenquer is 67 years old. Ferrer, astonishingly, is 77! Look at him! How can it be? He has lived such a full life here and in Mozambique, has about 6 children and seems to be eternally in his 40s. Not only does he know how to look after himself well, but his mind is fresh and sharp. I've rarely met anyone anywhere so good at talking, about anything, always wothwhile listening to. Incredible memory and no formal education, you should hear him recite vast chunks of poetry or monologues. Or jokes and anecdotes. Philosophy, cinema, politics - he is engaging, funny and almost always smiling. How I appreciate him! And Alenquer.
 

Over the past 3 or 4 weeks, I have developed an unprecedented interest in studying art. Most days, when I am in the library, & if I'm not busy with my own work, I can spend hours absorbed in books on the great artists or periods, learning, studying the works, writing my own impressions. I had a motivation at first to think about Hieronymus Bosch, but then became very focused on Breughel, Toulouse-Lautrec, Seurat and Goya. Above all, Rembrandt.
Then, while browsing, I found this English work last week and could hardly believe that it is a painting, so photographic is it. Often, people comment that a certain photo looks like a painting. This is the contrary. Painted in 1768, that makes it 70 years older than the first photograph. Look at those faces, the light! And the clouds lit by the moon, top right-hand corner. I wish my photo was better, but it was really the best I could do. Stunning, to me at least.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts. And may we all be very very well.
 

 
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Nikon said...

Hello Stewart, good to know that you are still snapping!
I love the door & the painting is amazing in its quality.
The library is always a good place to change gears & I think it puts us in our place (mentally) when we see all of the accomplishments of others.

Jenny said...

I love these pictures more than most you post - while birds and sea are lovely and very meaningful to you, these shots tell me more about your daily life - they give me the texture of your experiences. The selection of artists you are attracted to are interesting - I'm looking for common threads. Light and darkness, of course. Powerful emotion. Breughel, Goya and Bosch I can see. Toulouse Lautrec - well, the chiarascuro, the people on the edges of "polite society" - that fits, but Seurat? Hmm... is that the search for the light at the edge of darkness, the peace? And Rembrandt... well, that's just the need for sublime perfection, isn't it? The incredible pleasure we take from genius! Am I diminishing you by trying to psychoanalyze your choice of art? Terrible!!!

Icarus said...

WAIT UP, BOTH OF YOU!!! I just popped out for 45 minutes to watch "6 Degrees", which I've gotten into. I come back in and find you've both slipped in behind my back in the past 35 mins.
I have to tell you, just reading you both, it mad me think that you can have no idea how important you are to me, honestly.
It is a great feeling. How can I reciprocate? The obvious is too obvious. What I want you to know, like everybody else that I want to know this, is that I am trying my fullest. There's a guy I know who's in some health trouble now, a few countries away from here. He's 66 years old, another of those deep, awful, European Jewish stories of the 20th century. A pure soul. He mails me every day, goes out of his mind if I don't reply. i do what I can, and it's so hard to be there, I am at war now with the intenet.
I'm going to tell you what I wrote him when I found hi mail unloading his fears for his health last Friday night. I don't think it will seem the se in English as it didi in French, but I'll try - at leats, the main message.
You may not read me, or hear me, or see me. But I am there with you. When you look around into your places, out of them, I will be there. Know it.
That's a brief, shaloower version. But I feel it the same and because you are that important to me, i tell you that.
Paul, that library is the last sanctuary. When it is closed (every Sunday & Monday), it is really tough on me. There are much better libraries in my experience, but I have no complaints. It works for me.
And Jenny, the point about the birds & water is like I wrote. That is all I want to see outside of here of all that is on offer. But I am so glad to read what you wrote. And I agree. It serves some useful purpose to show anything I can of this place that is worthwhile. Above all, people like those two. They are really special, particularly Ferrer. And I'm thrilled by your sikoanalisis!! Really. I wish I could tell you what started it all. I'll just say that someone dear sent me a birthday card of a detail from a Bosch, which she'd chosen because the main subject reminded her of me. I identified with it, but felt it wasn't quite a complete, accurate analysis. So I started toresearch & found more that made it more amazing. I'm writing. I'm trying to write 4 different, necessary pieces. I won't promise anymore to either of you, or anyone, because for the first time ever, it is just jumbled in my head, instead of flowing out as it always used to. And it is all so important to get out.
As for Seurat, well I didn't mention Cézanne or Monet! But Rembrandt, searching for perfection? I guess so, but I certainly know that I could stare deeply into his works and that they will speak to me like no others. Immense.
Go on, Jenny, tell me more. And please accpet my apologies for not replying. I refuse to open the pc & find 100 mails or more on the 2 boxes after 3 days. I get blown away and some get lost. I do feel guilty though. Hope the exhibit is proving successful. Mine is off, mutual decision. They have bureaucratic reasons, I have "artistic" ones. No bother.
But now I can go to sleep smiling, Thank you Paul. Thank you Jen. Abraços grandes, Paul.
Muitos beijinhos, Jen.

Jenny said...

Lots to chew on - I'm here but running back and forth from computer to kids and dishes - quotidian existence in USA 2008! I'll look at the pics you sent and think some more! But no apologies, PLEASE!

Jenny said...

PS and no reciprocation needed. I've got all I need - I have enough to give without the need to get as well!

Icarus said...

And I have your Presidential election to worry about, quotidiennement!

Icarus said...

Sweet! But it is better & healthier to give and get loads & loads, in equal measure.

Nikon said...

Thanks for the Rembrants! Amazing how such art is possible!

Sorry to hear about your exhibit.
I'm glad that you have your two friends to keep you rooted in "reality."
As to our presidential elections, it should prove to be fun & perhaps enfuriating :-)

Jenny said...

My presidential election - LOL! Who do you like? I had to vote in the primary last week - it was a very tough decision and I continue to chance my mind daily!

Audrey said...

I so loved this post Stewart, get the feeling that like the great artists your researching and discovering, you too have picked up the brush again and are in the process of creating your own work of art, a work in progress.

Your friends sound and look amazing, life enhancing..

Look forward patiently to more xxx Auds...lol I will take all I can get :)

tsduff said...

I was just wondering how you always manage to come up with pictures so exotic and amazing. This one is a treasure - plus, I know that you must just happen to always have your camera on hand.

It is nice to have friends - they look like friends :)

You Stewart, ARE an artist.

Mauigirl said...

Stewart, my apologies for being so long absent from your blog! During February we were very involved with my husband's parents, as his father had a serious emergency operation (thankfully he is OK)- and then we flew off to Hawaii for vacation! We're still here, in fact, so I'm catching up on all my favorite blogs.

Your pictures are wonderful, as always - and no, I'd never guess your friend is 77.

Hope you post again soon - will be checking back more frequently now!

Laura C said...

Hi Stew a quick but big hug and good night! Thanks for your long letter...I ended here some time ago, just surfing around in internet...looking at the pictures I recognized you! Hope everything goes well! Talk soon! Beijinhos!