Thursday, 25 October 2007

The Icarus Show??!

Yesterday, I was summoned to a meeting of the Great & the Good of Siberia Town Council.
What had I done? Libelled? Slandered? Not undertaken to promote the town's good name in the Blogosphere?
An inquisition? Possible seat in the stocks, dressed in piilar-box red for the fired-up bulls to give me a taste of the horn?
To my utter surprise, and with some latent sense of pride and gratitude once I knew the reason for the questions, I was asked to explain what I was attempting to do with my cameras.
Why? They are offering me a one-man exhibition in the Town Hall!!!!!! (a first for me). Here, of all places!
So, now I'm trawling through 40,000 images of my Portugal, looking for a short-list of about 100, with the aim of choosing 30 for display.
Any ideas?
 
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Audrey said...

Im am so so delighted for you Stewart, Congratulations !!!

I hear the buzz already, all those different thoughts, perceptions, people absorbing your images and being moved and touched by them as I so often am..

What to choose....Im tempted to say them all, some immediately spring to mind, but Im going to make time to look again. What a delight to look forward to

A light shines in bright in Siberia..Well done, well deserved.

Whoopee!!!!!! Im getting excited about this in Scotland...lol Would so love to be there xxxxxxxxxx Auds

photowannabe said...

Congratulations. You deserve it. Any of your pictures would do just fine.
I went to Terry's blog at your suggestion. Amazing shots and quite terrifying. Thanks for the heads up.

Jenny said...

I like all your choices so far. When's your show? I'm having one at the Sharon Historical Society in January - just found out!

AnaGF said...

Wow, congratulations! It will be a hard task to choose "only" one hundred! From the ones you show here, I would take out the bottom right one and leave all the others.

Leonor said...

Congratulations, Dear S.!!!! :-)
XXX

RUTH said...

I have no idea how you will manage to choose only 30. Have you decided on a theme or will it be an eclectic selection? How much time do you have to make the choice? An exciting prospect but so difficult for you to make a choice.
Good luck, love & Hugs
Rx

Icarus said...

The first thing I have to say is that it was such a joy last night to find your visit, Leonor. Really, really, really. After all this time & all that has happened, I can honestly say it did me good. you are another of the special ones, who are all worth 100 Mourinhos.

And then Jenny's coincidence, that I still can't quite take in. How does that happen??? Could we throw cat among pigeons & swop exhibits?
Pequete, on this particular collage, agree entirely. But I doubt if any of these will see the light of day (just threw them together as they came to hand), except the middle one, which is my little dig at the Colete Encarnado. They'll all go for it, the band, the left-over from incontinent horse & the pointing man.
Auds, the citizens of VFX are way different to those of Aberdeen, but I admit it is exactly that in your 2nd paragraph that most motivates me to do this. We are all accustomed to feedback in our blogs. That was the best of surprises when I got into it. Howver, for some months earlier this year, I was posting photos on another website that has a huge global following. I would be surprised at the enormous response to pix that I thought were nothing special, or just funny, but the very opposite to others that were particularly important to me.
My conclusion is that sometimes people need help, need their eyes to be guided into what a photo or a painting is trying to say.
Ruth, that's still to be decided, theme or not. How about seagulls? Or trees, flowers and other things that Vila Franca doesn't have, but should?
The only sure thing is that they insist that the man in wheelchair begging outside the bank (T & a Word, Dec. 10-15th '06)must be in it.
I've told them that Nov. & Dec. is too soon for me, so it will be in March. Seems like the next century to me.
Pequete, there's an artist here who paints from photos that 'speak' to her. She's asking to buy fro me, but I have no idea how that works, or how much I could charge. Any ideas, or knowledge of this?
You are my friends 'on the outside'. That's why your enthusiasm, warmth and support has been so appreciated.
Anyway, it is going to be an immensely busy week ahead, so - apart from another meeting on Tuesday to discuss the whole deal - I must stop thinking about those archives, that go back almost 5 years. History. Archeology.
Bon Hiver & a great week to all!

Mauigirl said...

That's wonderful! Any of your pictures will be fantastic, but I know you will pick out the most perfect ones that all fit together best. Maybe Siberia's not such a bad place after all? ;-) It seems they appreciate you!

Aura said...

Follow your intuition Stewart, though the people of VFX would probobly be curious to know what is it in VFX that interest the eyes of an "estrangeiro".

Your photos by the river with boats & pigeons are beautiful!Also maybe photos about the events in town and of course peoples portraits.That is what i´ll do if i was in your place.

A final, "Siberia" esta agora a reconchecer um futuro "Filho da Terra". Muitos Parabens!!

Nikon said...

I've been out of touch for awhile, Stewart. Congrats on the show, I like so many of your shots that I couldn't start to recommend!
I have a lot of your posts to read - you came out of the drought & I'm still in it :)

Icarus said...

Maui & Aura, don't build your hopes up too high. it changes nothing. Like I wqrote to someone a couple of days ago, the reason it is Siberia and it is always winter has nothing to do with snow, ice, frost...it is because of the MENTAL TUNDRA.
If ever I become a 'filho da terra', aura, you have my permission to come here, find me and throw copious amounts of mud at me, OK? I can't & won't EVER happen.
Re. those pigeons, occasional gulls, wintering corvos de marinha and the new duck (uma pata, or lady, the experts tell me), I was talking with a guy who loves photography here the other day, has a non-digital Nikon F80 & has only ever taken shots to do with bulls, cows, fights, the town and the Lezírias across the river!!!!What a damned waste of such a fine piece of equipment. he can't understand what I do to save his life, but takes great pix. Anyway, we were down there by the river and he agreed with me that it was very sad that it was the ONLY place worth shooting anything: the same dock, the same blue boat & yellow boat, the same old bridge in the background, only the light changes through the day & the year. What I didn't tell him is that often I shoot upriver, just to make poetic statements about Lisbon beyond the horizon (it's possible to see the Vasco da Gama bridge in the distance)and gulls that are richer than me, becuse they have the power to just open their wings and fly down there & on to the sea. We see the effect of the departing sun turning the water ice-blue, but I look downriver to see that sky, knowing what it must look like to the sea - as you see it - and it is like I'm punishing myself. How do you explain all that to the filhos da terra?
Paul, how great to have you back. I promise (as I juast did to Carlos) to mail you. Important.

Peaceful/Paisible said...

that's just so great!!!anyway you deserve it so well, your photos are beautiful...congratulations dear...