Sunday, 14 October 2007
Rainbow Man Flying Up Towards Não-Terra
Our personalities, attitudes, expectations,drives, emotions, behaviour etcetera, etcetera, are defined, tuned, re-tuned by.......
Time, place, experience, blood, central nervous system, DNA and a zillion inputs that get churned into the mix that manifests itelf as our outputs.
Phew.
At the end of all that, no two of us, or can be, the same.
We can empathise, attract, reciprocate - or repel - all we like, but we will remain just another individual, even if we allow ourselves to be totally subsumed into a unified mass all pulling for the same end, in the same direction.
There is thankfully still a long way to go before Huxley's Brave New World dream/nightmare of pre-programmed, pre-ordered clones replaces the form of reproduction brought all of us here.
So?
I am actually reassured by my uniqueness, despite everything, such as the solitude, isolation, flaws, failures. . Because however diminished I am, however robbed and removed from everything that matters, I still know who I am, what has defined and fashioned this me.
I still know how I got to this present Groundhog Day of unending night, unendurable emptiness and unspeakable smallness.
In my entire book, I've never looked for anyone to blame, theres IS nobody to blame, so I blame nobody. It has never been my way. Neither will I judge anybody, except myself.
I am the only person qualified to judge to judge me.
I am the only person whom I am qualified to judge.
It is the same for you, I believe.
Therefore, now for a poem, that I wrote in 1981, another one inspired by a Folon poster which was commissioned by Amnesty International (which for personal reasons from 1st-hand dealings long ago, I am no fan of, with the exception of its field-workers). Mention of the latter makes me think something: If I have such sharp-edged concepts of right & wrong, does this not imply that I will, in fact, draw judgements on those wqhose actions place them firmly in my "wrong" box?
The answer is "yes" and I will try to return to explain next post.
Again, this poem not only still does it for me, it is another piece that today seems to have been waiting for its time, so that I now feel it in a very different way to 26 years ago. Back then, I personally knew very few people who had suffered from torture, death-squads, dictatorhips. it was to come in a couple of years and continue until the mid-90s. But the principles were firmly in place.
10 years after I wrote it, I had begun to believe that I was, personally, much closer to the refugees through my life experiences than I had perceived when I was younger.
And reading it again this weekend, I feel it as a burning statement. The 2nd picture is a detail of a version I made for my Dad for his 80th birthday. Those black lines? I shot a photo of the original work onto which the sun was projecting a shadow of the bedroom window. It was so much more powerful, as if Rainbow-Man was escaping from jail. I photocopied it and coloured Rainbow Man by hand on that.
Rainbow Man, Icarus, feet never on the ground, waqnting so much to fly, so that life was like a bird's flight as cclose as possible, living on & beyond the margins, with no other choice, yet always believing that this was the right and only place to be.
And that is why all these todays are so unbearable for me. The worst about it is knowing I can accomplish no real good for anybody, not here chained to the ground.
I need my wings back for that.
How Prisoner of Conscience Became Rainbow Man
Man in prison
Looks to dawn,
Hopes and prays
He might be gone;
There, beyond the stratosphere,
Pastel space
Of colours clear;
Higher than all birds can fly,
Sees a rainbow cross the sky;
Sees the rainbow arching down
From deepest stars
Towards this town;
Marvels how it transcends all,
The palace gates,
The prison wall;
The Police Chief, who does not wake
From sleep that makes his conscience ache;
The torturer, who loves his job,
Who dreams, now sweats and
Starts to sob.
A rainbow breaking rules and laws –
Like melting bars and
Smashing doors –
Feels its way through man-made hell
To find the man inside his cell.
It burns away the fire-proofed door.
The verdict rises from the floor:
“For Everyman who did no wrong,
Except ignore the 'masters’ Song”.
And finally, the rainbow’s end
Wraps around its humble friend,
Who weeps in joy and disbelief;
The Judge of Hearts knows the REAL thief.
With lightning speed that leaves no trace,
The rainbow and its charge retrace
The way from prison-earth to sky,
The path from chains to Free and High.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I just read an inspirational phrase today by Og Mandinos...
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure darkness for it shows me the stars"
Quem te pode ajudar ter as tuas assas de volta,Stewart?
Sei tamben que so tu es o unico pessoa que pode ajudar a ti proprio por isso não digo mais nada....
Desejo te muitos corragem , sorte e felicidades!!!
Viva, Aura. Quero agradecer-te este comentário.
É mesmo, mesmo, mesmo perfeito! À sério.
Obrigadíssimo, amiga, beijinhos e tenha uma óptima semana!
My breath became captive as I read your poem Stewart and the image you created is equally powerful.
'In the beauty of nature lies the true nature of beauty', your poem expresses for me the true nature of power too that can only be found in nature. Transends all in truth.
The captors are as much prisoners as the captive in a sense, their need for power chains them. Free men???? I wonder. A self imposed captivity of spirit a delusion of what it means to be a free man
"And finally, the rainbow’s end
Wraps around its humble friend,
Who weeps in joy and disbelief;
The Judge of Hearts knows the REAL thief.
With lightning speed that leaves no trace,
The rainbow and its charge retrace
The way from prison-earth to sky,
The path from chains to Free and High........."
and reading this last verse set my breath free with a knowing sigh of YES!!
Here I sit with all sorts of questions about the true meaning of freedom, birds, flight, spirit.. I ramble on, enough!!
Thank you for all that you give of yourself xxx Auds
Thanks-thanks-thanks, Auds!
Yes-yes-yes!
And curious coincidence, this morning's mail brought me a question to ponder over from Gledwood (to the Time & A Word last post). I've been pondering it and drafting a reply for a couple of hours in the public library.
I like synchronicity!
Your questions (stop saying that you ramble, please!) - are they in general, or because I give another glimpse as to what I am all about& never get around to explaining?
On we go now. A friend is coming here to order photos from our adventures with bulls on 5 Oct.
And there is talk of the town offering me a public exhibition. Heaven help me if they get to know that I consider myself incarcerated in Siberia!!! LOL!
You go on being pensive, perceptive, kind sensitive and rare!!
Sxxxx
Folon died some years ago...I still miss his drawings...
Picture is beautiful - poem a stunning accompaniment. I don't know anyone like you - you seem to me to be more of a poet, or fabulous author from the history annals. I haven't fully (or halfly... ha ha is that a word?) figured you out - and I imagine that you are one who indeed cannot be figured out at all.
Re. Terry's observation, please if there is anyone out there to whom I am NOT unfigureoutable, come on, tell me the secret. And quickly!
There is a kaleidoscope of parts and they don't add up to any recognisable whole. Voilà!
Post a Comment